Grab all the details about the Belgian actor, martial artist, filmmaker, and fight choreographer Jean Claude Van Damme’s workout routine and diet plan, and also find out how he keeps his body in great shape in his 60s.
His full name is Jean-Claude Camille François Van Varenberg but professionally known as Jean Claude Van Damme or JCVD he was born on October 18, 1960, in Brussels, Belgium.
He was among the best actors in action movies in the late 80s and he starred in a lot of notable movies like Bloodsport, Cyborg, Kickboxer, Hard Target, etc.
During those years Van Damme had a physique that was lean, muscular, and athletic. But even now in her old age, he has not gone out of shape he still maintains his body in great shape and can still throw in some head-level flying kicks.
If you’re here on this post we assume you’re a Van Damme fan and you want to know the secret behind how he maintains his body in great shape. Isn’t it? So let’s get to know about Jean Claude Van Damme’s workout routine and diet plan in detail.
Jean Claude Van Damme’s Workout Routine
Van Damme is now in his early 60s but he is still active and fit as he was in his 20s and this is because he sticks to following a strict workout routine.
Even if he has a busy schedule, Van Damme makes sure to spare at least 45 to 60 minutes for his training sessions. He works out 5 to 6 times a week. Jean Claude Van Damme’s workout routine mostly consists of weight training and some little cardio.
Van Damme started his fitness journey at a young age he was enrolled in martial arts class at the age of 10 by his father. This not only helped him improve his professional fighting skills but also his overall fitness.
Jean Claude Van Damme’s workout routine does not only focus on building big muscles but also focuses on improving and keeping his flexibility and agility in check.
His training approach consists of following a high-volume training approach which enables him to hit each of his muscle groups with different exercises.
Now let’s have a detailed overview of Jean Claude Van Damme’s workout routine;
- Barbell bench press- (4 sets of 8-10 reps)
- Incline bench press- (4 sets of 8-10 reps)
- Parallel bar dips- (3 sets of 12 reps)
- Dumbbell flys- (3 sets of 10-12 reps)
- Dumbbell pullovers- (3 sets of 12 reps)
- Pull-ups- (4 sets of 8-10 reps)
- Close grip chin-ups- (4 sets of 10 reps)
- Barbell rows- (4 sets of 8-12 reps)
- T-bar rows- (4 sets of 10-15 reps)
- Behind-the-neck barbell press- (5 sets of 12-15 reps)
- Lateral raises- (4 sets of 8-12 reps)
- Bent-over dumbbell lateral raises- (4 sets of 12-15 reps)
- Dumbbell shrugs- (3 sets of 12-15 reps)
Quadriceps and Hamstrings
- Barbell back squats- (5 sets of 12-15 reps)
- Front squats- (4 sets of 10-12 reps)
- Hack squats- (3 sets of 10-12 reps)
- Lying leg curls- (4 sets of 10 reps)
- Standing leg curls- (4 sets of 10 reps)
- Romanian deadlifts- (3 sets of 10-12 reps)
- Standing calf raises- (4 sets of 12-15 reps)
- Seated calf raises- (3 sets of 15 reps)
- Crunches- (3 sets of 25 reps)
- Reverse crunches- (4 sets of 25 reps)
- Russian twists- (5 sets of 20 reps)
- Leg raises- (3 sets of 20 reps)
- Lying triceps extensions- (4 sets of 10-12 reps)
- Tricep pushdowns- (3 sets of 8-10 reps)
- Single-arm tricep extensions- (3 sets of 10 reps)
- Barbell curls- (5 sets of 8-10 reps)
- Incline dumbbell curls- (4 sets of 10 reps)
- Concentration curls- (3 sets of 10-12 reps)
- Barbell wrist curls- (4 sets of 12-15 reps)
- Reverse wrist curls- (3 sets of 15 reps)
Van Damme relies on cardio to keep his body fat percentage low. His cardio routine mostly consists of running outdoors or on a treadmill. He sometimes performs also cycling.
He performs his cardio exercises three times a week. This enables him to work on his agility and cardiovascular endurance.
Martial arts training
Van Damme’s workout program would be incomplete without some martial arts in it. He is a trained karateka and kickboxer.
To train his martial arts skills he relies on performing shadow boxing, kicking drills, etc. all these help improve his agility and overall mind-muscle coordination.
Jean Claude Van Damme’s Diet Plan
To maintain and keep his body in great shape for all this long, Van Damme has always been disciplined about what he feeds his body. He ensures to eat healthy and nutritious food items that impact and improve his overall health.
Jean Claude Van Damme’s diet plan mostly contains whole food items that are rich in essential nutrients. These include fresh fruits and veggies, whole eggs, berries, salad, pasta, and hummus.
His diet contains a medium portion of proteins, carbs, and fats. He prefers breaking his meals into small meals instead of eating 3 to 4 major heavy meals he eats 6 to 8 small ones.
Van Damme claims that this approach enables keep his metabolism in check and also allows the body to get rid of excess fat.
When it comes to choosing his snacks, Van Damme prefers sticking to healthy options. He likes having coffee with an oatmeal cookie as his snack.
Despite being disciplined about sticking to his diet, Van Damme sometimes likes to satisfy his taste bud by eating his favorite cheat meals.
He like eating chocolate and french fries on his cheat days, however, he ensures to eat them in moderation.
Jean Claude Van Damme’s Supplements
Jean Claude Van Damme takes the following supplements to help fuel his gains;
- Omega 3s
Well, that’s all we have for you about Jean Claude Van Damme’s workout routine and diet plan. We hope it has given you some motivation to also start on your fitness journey.
If you desire to have a physique like that of JCVD you should consider using this post as a reference to structure your own workout routine based on your fitness and training experience.
You should also keep in mind that consistency is the key to seeing the results of your hard work.