Grab all the details of the Icelandic professional strongman, actor, and boxer Thor Bjornsson’s workout routine and diet plan and find out how he maintains his toned and muscular physique all year round.
His full name is Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson but commonly known as Thor Bjornsson he was born November 26, 1988, in Reykjavík, Iceland. He is the first and only man to have ever won the Arnold Strongman Classic, Europe’s Strongest Man, and the World’s Strongest Man in the same year.
If you were a fan of Game of Thrones you probably remember him as Gregor The Mountain. Thor has also appeared in different stunning films like The Northman, Pharaoh’s War, Kickboxer: Retaliation, etc.
Most of his fans would like to know what Thor Bjornsson’s workout and diet plan that enables him to have a massive toned and muscular physique look like. If you’re one of them then you’re on the right post.
Because in this post we are giving you all the details about Thor Bjornsson’s workout routine and diet plan that enables him to maintain his physique all year round. Just keep reading.
Thor Bjornsson’s Stats
Height: 206 cm – 6’9”
Weight: 175 kg – 386 pounds
Age: 34 years old
Birthday: 26th of November, 1988
Accolades: World’s Strongest Man, Winner, 2018
Thor Bjornsson’s Workout Routine
According to his massive muscular size, we can all tell that weight training plays the most important role in Thor Bjornsson’s training program. But that is not all he does.
Thor Bjornsson’s workout program also consists of cardio exercises like jumping rope, running, etc. when he retired from his strongman competition, Thor had a boxing fight against his fellow strongman competitor Eddie Hall and because of this he had to work on his endurance levels plus losing some weight.
Talking about his weight training sessions Thor prefers performing full body workouts, he likes performing compound exercises like squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, etc.
These exercises not only help him get stronger but also helped him to perform better during his strongman competitions.
As we mentioned above Thor Bjornsson also performs cardio exercises to burn more fat, and he also added boxing to his training routine to improve his technique which also gives him some good cardio.
Below is Thor Bjornsson’s workout routine for a week in detail;
- Squats- 3 sets of 10 reps (week 1), 5 sets of 5 reps (week 2), 3 sets of 3 reps (week 3)
- Military press- 4 sets of 8 reps (week 1), 5 sets of 5 reps (week 2), 5 sets of 3 reps (week 3)
- Power cleans- 5 sets of 5 reps (week 1), 5 sets of 3 reps (week 2), 5 sets of 2 reps (week 3)
- Chin-ups- 3 sets to failure
- Bent-over rows- 3 sets of 10 reps
- Deadlift- 3 sets of 10 reps (week 1), 5 sets of 5 reps (week 2), 3 sets of 3 reps (week 3)
- Conditioning- 30 minutes (sprints, kettlebell, circuit training)
- Push press- 3 sets of 10 reps (week 1), 5 sets of 5 reps (week 2), 5 sets of 2 reps (week 3)
- Speed or deficit deadlift- 5 sets of 5 reps (week 1), 3 sets of 3 reps (week 2), 5 sets of 5 reps (week 3)
- Front squat- 3 sets of 10 reps (week 1), 5 sets of 5 reps (week 2), 3 sets of 3 reps (week 3)
- Bench press- 3 sets of 10 reps (week 1), 5 sets of 5 reps (week 2), 5 sets of 3 reps (week 3)
- Upper body assistance exercises- any two exercises done for 3 sets to failure
- Core exercises- 10 minutes
- Strongman event practice- 3-4 events with 3 sets of each event
- Strongman event practice- 3-4 events with 1-2 sets of each event
Before he starts his heavy weight training, Thor makes it a point to warm up his body properly and his warm-up routines include exercises like the paused deadlift, the farmer’s walk, and the dumbbell Cuban press.
Thor Bjornsson prefers doing his cardio exercises early in the morning whereas for his weight training he prefers training in the afternoon.
Thor Bjornsson’s Diet Plan
When it comes to choosing his food items, Thor Bjornsson prefers eating organic food items as much as possible. Because they’re healthy and nutritious and provide his body with enough nutrients it needs for growth and recovery.
Thor Bjornsson’s diet plan mostly contains a bigger portion of proteins and carbs and a very lower portion of fats.
Before fighting with his rivals Eddie Hall, Thor was eating around 10,000 to 8,000 calories. But when preparing for the fight he cut his calories to 4,000 a day. This enabled him to lose weight and made his muscle definition clear.
He eats around 7 to 8 meals a day, and below we have listed Thor Bjornsson’s diet plan for a day;
Meal 1- Breakfast
- 6-8 Egg whites
- 1 full egg
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 bowl fruits
Meal 2- Mid-morning snack
- 2 granola bars
- 1 cup oatmeal/1 bowl of fruits
- 2 scoops of protein powder
Meal 3- Lunch
- 2 pounds of Fish/chicken/lean beef/turkey
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 bowl of raw or cooked vegetables
- 4 slices of 100% whole grain bread or 100% whole grain pasta
- 1 scoop of protein powder
Meal 4- Late afternoon snack
- 1 bowl of fruits or vegetables
- 2 granola bars
- 2 scoops of protein powder
Meal 5- Evening snack-I
- 3 cups of skimmed milk
- Any one of whole-grain pasta, oatmeal, whole grain bread, and egg whites
Meal 6- Evening snack-II
- Same as lunch
Meal 7- Dinner
- 2-3 servings of blended whey protein
You should know Thor slightly reduced his meals when he was preparing for the fight in order to cut the calories. He also drinks plenty of water to keep his body hydrated.
Thor Bjornsson’s Supplements
Thor Bjornsson takes the following supplements to help fuel his gains;
- Whey protein
- Vitamin D3
Well, that was all about Thor Bjornsson’s workout routine and diet plan. He didn’t achieve his physique because of good genetics but it was hard work and dedication that he put in every time.
So if you want to have a physique like his don’t use genetics as an excuse just put in the work and stay consistent you will soon get there just like him.
We advise you to use this post as a reference to structure your own workout and nutrition plan based on your fitness level and experience.