Grab all the details of the American former competitive swimmer Michael Phelps’ workout routine and diet plan and find out how he maintains his lean physique all year round.
His full name is Michael Fred Phelps II he was born on June 30, 1985, in Baltimore, Maryland. If you’re a fan of swimming you’ve probably seen him destroying his fellow swimmer in Olympic competitions.
Phelps is a fantastic swimmer and because of that he is regarded as the most successful and decorated Olympian of all time with a total of 28 medals.
Apart from winning Olympic competitions, Phelps’ fans also admire his lean and toned physique, and they as questions like how many hours Michael Phelps trains, and what Michael Phelps’ workout routine and nutrition plan look like.
Well, if you’re one of his fans with the same question then you’re on the right post because we will be throwing light on everything about Michael Phelps’ workout routine and diet plan that enabled him to become the greatest swimmer and athlete of all time. Just keep reading.
Michael Phelps’ Stats
Height: 193 cm – 6’4”
Weight: 88 kg – 194 pounds
Age: 37 years old
Birthday: 30th of June, 1985
Accolades: Best Male Athlete ESPY Award, Winner, 2009
Michael Phelps’ Workout Routine
To become the greatest swimmer and athlete of all time, Michael Phelps had to put in all the necessary effort on that purpose. He was dedicated to being the best and trained so hard to reach his goal.
Michael Phelps’ workout routine was structured in a way that targets every part of his body and it was pretty intense too. His workout sessions took lasted for about six hours every day
Michael always made sure he brings the best out of himself during the training sessions. To achieve that he spent hours in the pool working on his swimming skills, performed weightlifting and calisthenics, and also added HIIT to his workout program.
Talking about his swimming training sessions Michael Phelps used to swim around 13 km every day this helped him improve his swimming skills and also helped him burn fat.
Below is Michael Phelps’ workout routine in detail;
Michael Phelps’ Swimming Workout
- Swim: 800 meters
- Kick: 600
- Pull: 400
- Drill: 200
- Fast Twitch 25-meter strokes
- 50 meters x 6 sets
- Freestyle Warm-up
- Sidekick for 3 minutes
- Butterfly drill
- Pull buoy
- Individual medley twice
- 20×100 in 1:15 min
- 25 Fly
- 50 m freestyle
- 25 m fly
- 500 strokes: 50 kicks, 50 drill
- 2000 timed kick stroke: with the kickboard
- 4×100 IM drill
- Pulling Set
- 10×200 meters in 3 minutes
- Speed Sets x 4
- 24×25 fly, three sets: 1 Warm-up, 1 no breath, and 1 sprint
- Out of the pool core workouts, typically 500 bicycle crunches or sit-ups
- Static stretches
- Free Swim performed as a cool down
- 800 mixer on 10:30
- 4×150 kick on 2:30 (50 strokes, 50 free, 50 strokes)
- 400 pull with a buoy at 5:00 (breathe 3,5,7,9 per 100)
- 200 stroke on 3:00
- 10×50 in 45 min (2-25 kick/25 drills 2-25 free/25 stroke)
- 4×50 in 1:30
- 1×50 in 1:20
- 1×50 in 1:10
- 1×50 in 1:00
- Long swim 100-200-300 pull (lung busters)
- 400 choice kick
- 300-200-100 IM drills
- Speed & Endurance Training
- Training paddles, vertical kicking, snorkel, underwater kicking, kickboard,
- Sled Push, Sled Reverse Fly, Sculling
Michael Phelps’ Gym Workout Routine
- Standing dumbbell press: 3 sets x (10-16) reps
- Dumbbell front raise: 3 sets x (10-16) reps
- Dumbbell lateral shoulder raise: 3 sets x (10-16) reps
- Weighted Pull-ups: 3 sets x (7-10) reps
- Weighted Push-ups: 3 sets x (15-20) reps
Michael Phelps’ Diet Plan
To ensure that he goes through his intense workouts well, Michael Phelps makes it point to feed his body with enough healthy and nutritious food items.
When he was still competing in Olympics, he used to consume around 8000 to 10,000 calories. Well, that seems like a lot of calories but remember Michael was a professional athlete whose daily routine consisted of intense workouts. So he needed to fuel his body with a lot of good calories.
Below is Michael Phelps’ diet plan in detail;
Meal 1- Breakfast
- Three fried-egg sandwiches with cheese, fried onions, lettuce, tomatoes, and mayonnaise
- Two cups of coffee
- One five-omelet
- One bowl of grain
- Three chocolate-chip pancakes
- Three slices of French toast topped
Meal 2- Lunch
- One pound of pasta
- Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayonnaise on white bread
- Energy drinks
Meal 3- Dinner
- One pound of pasta
- More energy drinks
Although he always made sure that he eats healthy and nutritious food items, Michael Phelps also likes eating junk foods like pizzas and burgers on some days. But he makes sure he doubles his workout intensity to burn off the excess calories.
Michael Phelps’ Supplements
Michael Phelps takes the following supplement to help fuel his body;
- Whey Protein Powder
So, that’s all we have for you about Michael Phelps’ workout routine and diet plan. We hope it has inspired you to also start on your fitness journey.
But you should put in mind that Michael is a professional athlete and it took him time to be the most decorated Olympian of all time. So it would be better to use this post as a reference to structure your own workout routine and nutrition plan rather than copying his exact routine.
When you’re done with structuring your workout routine and diet plan make sure you stay consistent because that’s the only way you will be able to see the results of your hard work.